What can you eat for breakfast on the autoimmune protocol? I have had to completely change my eating habits when I started AIP, especially for breakfast. Coming from a standard american diet (SAD), I used to consume lots of bread, cereals, and sugary baked goods in the mornings. Such highly processed, high-carb foods would leave me trembling and starving by mid-morning. Fortunately all this has changed on the autoimmune protocol! One of my favorite breakfast food is soup, especially chicken soup. It is really easy to prepare and so nourishing!
I developed this recipe when one of my daughters suffered from a nasty cold this winter. She didn’t have much appetite for anything substantial, and she was craving something fresh at the same time. This breakfast chicken soup is easy to digest and a nutritional power-house! With chicken broth, for the nutrients and hydration, fresh herbs for their immune-boosting powers, and healthy fats from the avocado, this breakfast chicken soup is the perfect start to your day.
I like to get this soup started in the evening when I go to bed. I let it simmer through the night in the slow cooker (6-quart capacity) and I wake-up in the morning to the delicious and mouthwatering smells of chicken soup! Add the fresh herbs and avocado right before serving.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 1/2 quarts of water or bone broth or chicken stock
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- For each serving of soup:
- 2 TBSP fresh cilantro or Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 TBSP scallions, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, place the chicken and pour the liquids over. I sometimes use chicken broth instead of water for extra flavor!
- Cover and simmer for 10 hours, or until the meat falls off the bones.
- Take the chicken out of the slow cooker and separate the meat from the bones.
- Pull the meat apart with a fork and put it back in the pot, saving the bones to make more bone broth another day!
- Salt to taste.
- For each serving of soup, add 2 tbsp fresh herbs, 2 tbsp scallions, and 1/2 avocado.
- Bon appétit!
This Spring Breakfast Chicken Soup Recipe has been shared on the following link parties: Fat Tuesday – Allergy Free Wednesday – Natural Family Friday – Awesome Life Friday
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read what it means.